Saturday, April 2, 2011

Grandpa's Chili.....

Yesterday was a day off and I spent it at home doing little odds and ends around the house so a perfect time to put a pot of chili in the crock pot and just let it simmer all afternoon. I've always used my Grandpa's recipe as a guide with my own substitutions and I usually let it simmer in the crockpot all day on low or afternoon on high.  I thought I'd share his recipe with you today.....

Grandpa's Summers Chili

2 lbs browned ground chuck
3 cans chili beans
2 medium onions, chopped
1 1/2 cups water
3 cans tomato sauce
1 envelope chili seasoning
salt to taste
Cook slow 1 hour. Supposed to be thick but you can add water so it won't stick or for desired consistency.
2 - 12 oz cans of tomato juice may be substituted for the water and sauce.
(I use 1 can tomato sauce & 1 can diced tomatoes in place of the 3 cans of sauce)
 
Added a small pan of cornbread and a blackberry pie & ice cream for dessert... Yum-meee!  There's even a little bit leftover for lunch today!
*********************
I think spring is finally here!  According to google weather it's to be 66 today and 80 tomorrow.  Hmm...maybe some yard and flower box clean-up?
 
I hope the sun is shining today in your little corner of the world....
Enjoy your weekend!
 
 
 

1 comment:

krys kirkpatrick said...

Thank-you for the visit. I like your chili recipe. I add a can of Rotels. Which is chop tomato and chilies. If you need a kick...this adds it big time.