Sunday, July 24, 2016

A Work in Progress.....

Since moving to this house, I've wanted to make this area at the front a flower bed.  So finally, after 10+ years, last summer I finally got started on it. 
My son hauled in some more dirt.....
An old concrete bench was set into place....This bench came from my Grandma and Grandpa Summer's place in Salisbury.  I don't know if there is a story to it or not....I just remember it always being there. Their place sold many years ago after their passing but knowing the family that lives there now, they let me have it. I will forever be grateful!
 I also set in an old wringer washer and old wash tub that were used by my mother and grandmother.  The section of picket fence is from my high school home economics teacher and then I added the old water pump that I brought with me from our old place.
The plant to the left of the bench is a hydrangea that I bought last year but didn't get planted.  It sat out back in the container that I purchased it in.......all winter! I was SO pleased (and surprised) to see that it survived!
And you can see it is doing well....full of flowers!
I've added a few more plants....pussy willow, russian sage,  coneflower, spirea and jewel of desert ice plants and a butterfly bush.  I also painted the water pump....hoping that it shows up better as red than black.
 I have a ways to go....lots more to go in the ground and in the old washer and wash tub.  Lay out more landscape canvas, mulch and edging also need to be added.  I'll share more as I get things set  and as things fill out.  As I've been writing this post, I've come to realize that this is becoming more of a memory garden then just a flower garden.  I hope it comes out as nice and pretty as I see it pictured in my mind! 

No comments: