Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The recipe....


Good Morning All! The sour dough starter is started and coming along nicely~yep, that's a blackberry pie you see there~I had made some crust last week and still had some in the fridge that needed to be used and I found blackberries in my freezer I didn't know was there, so what to do?!  Anyways....here's the recipe for the bread....of course it's taken from the same cookbook I told you about yesterday...

Sour Dough Bread

1 1/2 cups sour dough starter
3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons margarine
1/4 cup warm water (105*F-115*F)
1 package Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast
5 - 6 cups flour

Prepare sour dough starter.
Scald milk.  Stir in sugar, salt and margarine; cool to lukewarm.  Measure warm water into large warm bowl.  Sprinkle in yeast; stir until dissolved.  Add lukewarm milk mixture, starter and 2 1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth.  Stir in enough additional flour to make a stiff dough.  Turn out onto lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes:  Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top.  Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down; divide into three equal pieces.  Form each piece into a smooth round ball or a 14 inch tapered roll.  Place on greased baking sheets.  With a sharp knife, make several cuts in crisscross fashion on tops of round loaves or make several diagonal cuts on tops of long loaves.  Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
Bake at 400*F about 25 minutes, or until done. 
Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
Enjoy!
*****************
There is also a recipe in this book for Onion Sour Dough Bread and I'll share that recipe with you another time.
There's a lady in our church who also uses her sour dough for making cinnamon rolls and they are wonderful!
*****************
I had no sooner hit the post button yesterday when the sun decided to show itself....it was off and on thru out the day...but I think mostly off!  Who knows about today....at one time they were calling for rain.  I sure hope not...errands to run today!
Time to get busy....have a great day!!


 




1 comment:

Sharlotte said...

I have a sour dough recipe and starter but I've never made it. I have made the Amish friendship recipe though. It's been so cold , I've been thinking of a reason to use the oven. I should make up a starter so I can bake some. Btw... did John see the commerical with the clown stepping on the unicorn the other day during the football game? It was so funny!!