Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Wednesday Ramblin'...

Yesterday morning, we woke to our first snowfall for the year.  A reported 1.3" for our first snow, obviously a tracking snow, on the 6th of December.
Does this mean we will get only 6 snows for this winter? Hmm...the low number sounds good, but if that holds true, how heavy could  those 6 snowfalls be?
Monday night, we finally lit the fireplace.  
Salem has already staked claim to the kitchen hearth....he's there in the lower right corner, he just kinda blends in with the dark brick!
Nothin' more cozy than sitting quietly in the living room with the warmth & glow of Christmas tree lights and a crackling fire in the fireplace.
I had to do a little baking yesterday.  A friend asked me to make her 4 dozen cookies for her church exchange so I decided to go with these.  They're a sand tart cookie aka pecan sandie, but rather than coat with powdered sugar, I dipped the tops in chocolate!  They look so yummy that I'm going to make another batch today for our church women's gathering this evening!  And.....I thought I'd share the recipe with you today.....
SAND TARTS
1 cup butter
4 heaping tablespoons powered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans

Mix well. ( I mix in a food processor)
Roll into small balls the size of a walnut. (I use the smallest pampered chef ice cream scoop, level)
Place on  a parchment paper lined baking sheet.   (I then flatten with bottom of glass)
Bake at 300 degrees for 20-25 minutes...slightly golden on bottom or around edges.
Roll in powdered sugar with still warm then again when cooled.
Using the pc ice cream scoop, this will make 48 cookies.
If you would like them dipped with chocolate, I just melted 1 pkg of chocolate chips in the microwave, stirred to smooth, tilt the bowl to get the chocolate on the side of bowl to just dip the top of the cookie.
If you'd like, sprinkle with topping of your choice! 
Let set in single layer on cookie sheets and set in refrigerator to allow for chocolate to set.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! They look delish, can't wait to try one tonight! :-)

Rita Templeton said...

YUM! Wish I could be there tonight ... Denni was just telling me about all the yummy stuff she's making too!