Thursday, December 20, 2012

Divinity.....

I finally made it! I don't know if I will ever make it again but I just had to see if I could do it. And I did!
I've always heard that it was a hard one....lots of beating and don't make it on a humid day. Well I found a recipe in my Countryside Favorites cookbook, a book put together by the Countryside Park in Donna, TX where my in-laws spend their winters.
I don't know about the humidity part but if it wasn't for my Kitchenaid mixer, I don't know if my arm would of survived all the beating! Whew! How did they do it back in the day before electric mixers?

Divinity
4 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup water
3 stiffly beaten egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
Put in good sized pan. (sugar, water and syrup only) Stir until sugar is dissolved over low heat. Cook on medium heat to 255°. Remove from heat. Pour slowly over 3 stiffly beaten egg whites. Beat until firm and loses its gloss. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup nuts. Very good.
This was submitted by Mildred Nelson and Pat Taylor.

I have found over the years that using a candy
thermometer when candy making is key to how well it turns out. I never had much luck when using the old school method of obtaining the soft and hard ball stages.
And did I mention my kitchenaid mixer? Oh my...what would I do without that!

So there ya go.....tune in tomorrow for peanut butter fudge.


2 comments:

Chanda said...

My mom and aunt always made it together, one poured very slowly and onne stirred, don't ever try it one a warmish Dec rainy day....major fail.

Cindy said...

I've always heard that so I waited for a nice day!