Sunday, January 4, 2009

Grandma's Apron...

Good Morning! This is the last day of sleeping in and I have to wake up before 6! Ugh! Didn't have to, for some reason I just woke up! Tomorrow morning it's back to setting that alarm clock!
I'd posted this on my old blog but thought it was worth sharing again. I do not know the author...one of those little ditty's that get's posted or passed around on forums & emails.


Grandma's Apron
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, from pie dough, cake or biscuit flour, but along with that, it served well as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out children's dirty ears.
From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying in eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished hatching in the warming oven.
When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.And when the weather was cold, our grandma wrapped it around her arms.
Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, while bent over the hot wood stove, preparing the next meal for her family.
No air conditioning then!Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen, wrapped in that apron.
From the garden, it carried all sorts of homegrown vegetables. After the peas and butter beans had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust off in a matter of seconds. Remarkable!
When supper was finished, Grandma always walked out onto the big porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields for supper time.
It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that big "ol'-time apron" that served so many purposes, and all of us so well.....


*******************************
Arpons have sure been the rage of late.....almost as much as handbags! This is a pic of a couple simple aprons I made awhile back...just made 'em for me to wear around here...nothin' fancy....made with handtowels and small pieces of fabric. I have the makin's for a few more...a couple started I do believe...one of these days I'll get 'em finished.

These are aprons made by g'ma's. The one on the left was made my John's g'ma Halterman and the one on the right was made by my g'ma Summers. I don't wear them...I either display them or keep them put away.


I remember my g'ma Prewitt always wearing an apron...it's was just part of her everyday dress. I wear them...especially if I have alot of cookin' / bakin' to do... I sometimes forget then end up with flour all down my front! I wonder whatever happened to all of g'mas aprons....I need to remember to ask my aunts.

So do you wear an apron? Do you make aprons? What's your favorite style of apron? There are so many styles...but I prefer the simpler aprons....much like a chef's...but it must have a pocket or two! Too handy...keeps kitchen shears close, cell phone, kleenex....you name it!

Hmm...maybe this post will inspire me to finish those aprons I have started!

Have a wonderful day!!

2 comments:

Gayle said...

My sister has decorated her kitchen with a chicken theme - I'll have to see if I can find some of your cute fabric and make her a new apron as a gift! I like full aprons - those half aprons don't protect me enough from messes! LOL

Takejoynanc said...

Hi there. I love your blog and would really like to have a copy of Grandma's Apron but can't get a copy of it. Could you email it to me?

nanclg@frontiernet.net

Thanks